Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Topic: summary help Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 8:29am
Hello
OK My problem is when i create a report my summary fields are double or more what they should be?
I use a lot of census data, in my reports and am trying to build a report out with two files my problem is when I insert a summary to say get the total population the summary is double or quadruple of what the number should be I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks
Sam
Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:31am
My problem is I am working with population data so some there might be some duplicate records. If you can picture it I am using two different geographical area's so the to tables don't relate to each other
Here is a example of what crystal reports give me. (There are other fields like geography ID and others.) Unique ID Total(from first Table), Population(from first table), Total Children(from Second Table) 1 150 73 1 150 54 1 150 42 2 121 73 2 121 54 2 121 42
What I want is just 1 150 0 2 121 0 0 73 0 54 0 42 Hope this helps and thanks for all the support you have provided
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:52am
In your sample data there seems to be something wrong on your join with the total children (second table). It looks as if there is no join at all. What do you have that set up as in the DB Expert?
If you can clean that up I think you can get what you need.
Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 10:53am
I pretty new to crystal reports so I don't know if this is possible. Can I get it so I have no link between the to tables at all so its like two different reports in one.
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:10am
No - it will go completely wonky if you try that.
You can do a subreport with the second table.
However, let's evaluate it a bit more...
Can you explain why in your sample you want the "children values" (73, 54 and 42) to only appear as if they are a not attached to any value from table 1.
And what is UniqueID (column 1) representing...maybe a country? SHouldn't there be "children values" for each of these?
Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:39am
I really apprecate all the help and would love to slove this problem so thanks for all the help so far and in the future.
OK the Unique ID is a number that in each table starts at 1 and goes for each row there is so there is no connection between the tables on that number. For the Children value its not exactly that but a more detailed on poverty numbers and there housing situation i thought I would make it a bit easier to understand so I'm sorry if that made it worse. I will try and explain it that most of my data is really detailed in that I can get it by the block level(like a city Block) while other data I can only get in a less geographically detailed it goes by Block Group(A grouping of Blocks). So if you can picture say I only need the data on only 3 blocks but 2 of those blocks are in one block group made up of 7 blocks and the other block is in a second block group made up of 4 blocks. So I want the most detailed and accurate data I can get, but some data I can only get on the block group so I have to take the extra area for those data sets.
Hope this helps clear it up it might not I know what I am doing and I thought my explanation was confusing so thanks again Sam
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:06pm
OK. My head is spinning a bit...I got the ID as a PK counter and is useless for joins but the rest I need to visualize better.
Do you only have 2 tables you are dealing with? How are these "Blocks" defined in the data... Are they all in one table or does each group level have a different table?...If the are in different tables how are you joing them.
Sory , but I just can't seem to "see" the data structure and need that to give you some direction.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum