| Author |
Message |
NedSchneebly
Newbie
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
|

Topic: Secondary sort problem Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 1:04pm |
|
Hi all - I am using CR XI.
I have a group that I wish to sort, and using the Record Sort Expert, I select the group and a field (say TASKS.WO_NUM) and this works fine. But when I add a secondary sort (say TASKS.DUEDATE), nothing happens. The primary sort field (WO_NUM) remains sorted, but the secondary sort field is unchanged (I even toggled the ascending/descending option, to no avail).
I've done this a dozen times before, even sorting 4 or 5 fields, but for this particular report, I cannot get the secondary sort to work. I was just wondering if there is something happening behind the scenes that I don't know about, or some other known cause for this? And it isn't just the TASKS.DUEDATE that won't sort - it's all fields (I've selected all of them). I've even changed the primary field and that worked, but no secondary field will sort.
Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks!
|
|
Sigless and Bible Black
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
NedSchneebly
Newbie
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
|

Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 1:36pm |
|
...as a test, I dug up some previous reports I'd done with layered sorts, intentionally broke the sorts, re-did them exactly the same way, and now they don't work either. Hmmm...
|
|
Sigless and Bible Black
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 6:18am |
Personally, the sort feature doesn't make much sense to me. I just add another group, which forces the sort. If I am using it for sorting, I suppress the header and the footer.
yeah, it is kludgy, and probably not the best solution, but I don't tend to have time to spend figuring out the sort...which might, or might not work.
Just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Again, it is kludgy, but it works.
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 6:30am |
I have not seen this issue although most of my reports only require one sorting after all the grouping is done.
YOu could try and make a formula field adding the required sort fields into 1 long string and sorting on that.
|
IP Logged |
|
NedSchneebly
Newbie
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
|

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 1:28pm |
|
Hmmm - so you are saying that the Sort feature is buggy when it comes to nesting, huh? OK - I will try to get around this by using multiple groups instead. But I swear this was working perfectly before. I've written about 12 report with layered-sorting and they all worked. I have no idea how I suddenly just broke them all by undoing and redoing the sorts. Maddening. I am wasting so much time on cosmetic crap!
|
|
Sigless and Bible Black
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 1:33pm |
I don't know that it is buggy. I tested multiple sorting as you described with no grouping and saw no issues in my tests on my XI version (multiple sorting worked fine both ascending and descending).
Since you don't recall issues before perhaps something did "break" but I am at a loss as to where or how. Edited by DBlank - 07 Aug 2009 at 1:34pm
|
IP Logged |
|
NedSchneebly
Newbie
Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
|

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 1:59pm |
|
True - it may be have been something unrelated that was responsible. For instance, on one report, I decided to click on "Database Expert" and add another table, and when I did this I got a warning when I OKed it saying that there were "too many complex links" (or something like that) and that they did not recommend that. I later went back in there and removed those links (as I didn't need them indexed). So perhaps it is something like this that overwhelmed the nested sorting. I am brand new at this and have no training at all, so I really can't say.
|
|
Sigless and Bible Black
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:56am |
I don't know if it is buggy or not... Just, rather than spend lots of time on cosmetics...and I spend lots of time there, I just don't have the time to figure out sorting. My reports tend to have at least 3 groups and then they may have conditional groups, and I just don't have the time. Adding a group it quick and simple.
I know that it is kludgy, but I can figure out how to sort my report and be moving on to the more 'important' cosmetics with this method.
As for training, I don't think that many of us have any 'formal' training in Crystal, I think that it is mostly a 'learn by doing'...I know that is what it has been for me. A quick tutorial by the outgoing guy...and it was quick...and I was on my own.
HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|