Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Grouping problem Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
kurtzky
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote kurtzky Replybullet Topic: Grouping problem
     Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 8:28pm
Hi all..Im a newbie in crystal report. I have a problem..
 
My situation is this. I have Main Items, and these main items have Sub Items..it's like:
 
Item 1
Item 1.1
Item 1.2
 
Item 2
Item 2.1
Item 2.2
 
 
The problem is, on the first page, only Item 1 is being displayed, and Item 1.1 and Item 1.2 details are displayed starting on the second page.. Then, Item 2, Item 2.1, Item 2.2 are displayed right after the Last Item 1 sub item, without skipping a page (which is actually right)
 
any help? Thanks..
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 6:27am
might be 'keep group together'.  check the section expert and on the group.  right click the section and select change group/option tab.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
kurtzky
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote kurtzky Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 4:34pm

ok. thanks for that. how about this situation?

I have a report which accepts more than one parameter value, let's say Parameter 1, Parameter 2, Parameter 3.. These 3 parameters means 3 pages displayed (separate headers for each parameter), one page for each parameter. Details on each page varies depending on the parameter specified.
 
But the problems are:
 
1) Let's say Parameter 1 (page 1) did not consume all the spaces on the first page, and there is still a wide space at the bottom of page 1, the details on the second page (Parameter 2) automatically fills the blank space on the first page, same goes to 3rd page
 
2) Another situation to be considered is this. As I stated above, these 3 parameters have different headers. For example, Parameter 1 consumes two pages. what happens is, on the first page, the header is for Parameter 1, but on the second page, the header is already for Parameter 2, which is wrong since the data on page 2 are the continuation of the first page. (2nd page's page header should be Parameter 1's header)
 
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
 
IP IP Logged
Thunter
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Thunter Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 5:20pm
I wouldn't use the page header for this then if you want it to be seperate pages and headers.  I would create a grouping based on the parmater and put the header in the group, use page breaks between when it switcches parameters and then use the "repeat header on each page" function in the grouping.  The only purpose for the grouping is to create and display a "fake" header.  The only problem you will have is if you wanted to have a page header that is different from the main header but it didn't sound like it.
Terry W Hunter
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:50am
There are so many ways to look at this.  I typically use the page header section, but I would probably have a formula that is 'dynamically' changing the header being displayed.  Or I might have several sections to the page header and conditionally suppress and display them, or I might have a group as Thunter suggests. 
 
I would have a group of some sort, so that you can 'force' a new page when the parameter changes so that the header agrees with the data, how exactly you do that is really dependent on the how your data is structured.
 
Hope this helped in some small way.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum