Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: grouping not possible for user defined fields Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
siav
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siav Replybullet Topic: grouping not possible for user defined fields
     Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 7:47am
Hi All,

I'm new in Crystal world.
As far as I used the tool, I can't make available the UDFs for grouping and sorting.

I've seen some other people writing about a data type using crystal function which would solve this problem?

Can anyone be a help please?

Thanks!



Edited by siav - 28 Jul 2009 at 7:48am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 12:07pm
Call me silly, but what do you mean by a user defined field?  A formula or something else?
 
Just wondering thanks.
IP IP Logged
siav
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siav Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 11:42pm
Hi,

I mean a field like U_something.
These user defined fields cannot be found on the grouping window in Crystal Report.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 6:11am
Crystal doesn't list anything in help for user defined fields, nor does Brian's book, so U_something doesn't mean anything to me...and since it is user defined...it is a naming convention that you are using, I can only assume.
 
I don't know how to create these, much less access them.
 
Sorry.
IP IP Logged
siav
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siav Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 6:18am
Well I don't know exactely what kind of information you need...
These user defined fields are locate on JDT1 table and called U_<field_name>.
I can only set grouping for fields that have numeric data type.

These fields have been created into SAP Business One.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 6:39am
I don't know about SAP, but in the end, they are just fields in a table. That you can only group on fields that have numeric data is odd, since I group on other types of data all the time. 
 
can you display the value of these fields?  if so, you can always write a formula and group on that, though Crystal should allow you to group on all fields.
 
Sorry I can't be of more help
IP IP Logged
JohnT
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 92
Quote JohnT Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 8:43am
Are you asking if a report can be grouped at runtime by a field of the report selected by the user ?

Edited by JohnT - 03 Aug 2009 at 8:45am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 10:45am
Of course it can, I am asking if the field that he wants to group on can be seen on the report.  If you can't see it, you can't group on it.
 
I would think that Crystal should allow grouping on any field on a report, which is why I inquired if he could see the field.
IP IP Logged
siav
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote siav Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 11:11pm
Hi,

Thanks for your help, the solution was provided by SAP.


IP IP Logged
PASSAP
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Mar 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote PASSAP Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:46am
Hey SIAV - I have the same issue. Can you direct me to the SAP link which explains how to do it?
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum