Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Graphing Help! Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
JennyLynn
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Jul 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote JennyLynn Replybullet Topic: Graphing Help!
     Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 2:30pm
Hi Guys!

I have a quick question that I just can't figure out!

I'm trying to create a graph from some data that I have compiled from a database.

Basically I have a few variables, two of them are just running totals of two fields from the database for each group (month), but the third variable is determined each month by a formula that I have written:

For i := 1 To L Do
(
    If Total  <> "0" Then  
    Value := Value + 1
);
Value;


That's just a snippet of the formula but my question is, can Crystal Reports graph the value of "Value" for month etc? From the chart expert area I don't see the option to include that formula in the "show value of" area but there are other formulas that I have listed as options!! I can export the report to excel and have it graph it but there must be a way to do it in Crystal!!

Thanks!!SmileSmileSmile
~~Jenny

~~~~Jenny Lynn
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 5:55pm
try placing the graph in the report footer to see if that makes any difference.
It may be the order in which the data is being read/created.
IP IP Logged
JennyLynn
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Jul 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote JennyLynn Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 8:47am
No Dice!

I've done a lot more searching and still haven't found a solution for this!

I found an article that suggested adding an "else" clause to the end of the formulas so that they had a consistent 'type' output but that didn't help either...

To clairfy, I'm trying to chart three fields on change of a group using:

- two running total fields and
- a formula field that takes some data from the database and performs calculations and spits out a number via a Global NumberVar.

My formula doesn't show up in the available fields column in the graph dialog box, although other formulas do - I need to figure out what conditions allow a formula to be graphable or not. I've even tried to output the Global NumberVar to another formula that simply has the formula:

WhilePrintingRecords;
EvaluateAfter ({@counter});

Global NumberVar Output;
Output;

But this formula doesn't show up in the available fields either.



Does anyone know what conditions allow a formula field to be graphable or not?

~~~~Jenny Lynn
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 8:55am
Re-reading this I think in the formula that does not appear for graphing you are using a value that is a summary of a group to create a new total.
I believe that is why you cannot use it in the graph.
This is similar to trying to Sum a formula field that uses a NEXT() or Previous() function or trying to SUM one group level formula into a report footer SUM. Those can't be done due to record reading processes.


Edited by DBlank - 27 Jul 2009 at 8:56am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum