Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Mail Merge or Crystal Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Milt96
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote Milt96 Replybullet Topic: Mail Merge or Crystal
     Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 1:08pm
I need to create a monthly report that pulls data from a SQL DB. This report would be generated each month with all text remaining static except for the data pulled from the DB. This would be a multi-page report.
 
Something like: On XX/XX/XX there were X hard drives sold to customers from NY, CA, X, X, X. Of these drives, 3 were purchased for $5.00.
 
Everything in bold is info from the DB. This report would span 2-3 pages. Is this something I can do in Crystal? I don't know how to get more than one page worth of info.
 
I realize this is something that can be done in MailMerge but I pretty sure that would require several step (export data to Excel, then run mail merge).
 
Thanks in advance,
 
Milt
Milt
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 1:45pm
This probably can be done in Crystal, but due to a number of factors, it's not necessarily a straight-forward report.  Some things to think about:
 
- I assume that the phrase "hard drives" would be something different for each line?  If so, it needs to be something you pull from the database so that you can put the wording and fields into a section and have it repeat for each required line.
 
- It can be difficult to format data like your state list if each value is in a separate record.  I would maybe try to write a stored procedure that will format the data and return a cursor (that can be difficult to manage in Crystal though) or a stored function that can be called from within your SQL to put together the state list.
 
If you can manage these two items, then this is fairly straight forward and Crystal will handle the paging for you.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum