Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Data type Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
pebbles
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote pebbles Replybullet Topic: Data type
     Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 9:01am

My database is excel and 1 column has both alpha and numeric.  I have tried formating it  to general or text and it still shows in CR as numeric.  The report  will generate, but  will leave out  any data that has an alpha character.  I saw where pduw123 asked this same question on May 28, 2009 and  has not received an answer.

PLEASE  HELP!!!!!
 
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 9:12am
Crystal sets the datatype based on the contents of the first row.  The only way to make sure it's seen as a string field is to make sure that the first row has alphanumeric data.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
pebbles
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote pebbles Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 9:17am

Thanks, I will try that.Big%20smile

IP IP Logged
pebbles
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote pebbles Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:06am
I tried making the first row below my headings a text format.  It still came up as a number in CR.
 
Any other suggestions?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 11:59am
Not text format, text DATA.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
pebbles
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote pebbles Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 12:14pm
I did put text DATA in the 1st cell under my heading.  ABC.  I am using more than one worksheet in the excel file.  I put ABC on one and 2722B in the  other.  I will try again with just letter and no numbers on the one worksheet.
Still no luck.


Edited by pebbles - 23 Jul 2009 at 12:32pm
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum