Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Case Sensitive Query Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Wilsta
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Wilsta Replybullet Topic: Case Sensitive Query
     Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 8:59pm
Hi guys
 
I need to report on a field and be able to differentiate the contents between proper case and upper case.  E.g.
 
Some data is stored as "Stellar" and other data as "STELLAR".  I have a need to find those equal to "STELLAR" [in upper case] so that I can correct the case in our database... this is proving tricky!
 
I use if(field = "STELLAR") then true else false.  But I get both records coming up as true.
 
Can anyone help?
 
Will


Edited by Wilsta - 20 Jul 2009 at 9:16pm
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 6:23am
Is the database case sensitive?
 
If you need to correct the data in the database, why not update all values to the correct one?
 
I realize that you are probably going to use the report to identify the values that need changing, but I am willing to bet that you could write a procedure to automate it.  If all of the values are 1 word long, something like this should work:
 
update table
set field = upper(left(field, 1)) + lower(substring(field,2,1000))
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 7:09am

I agree with Lockwelles approach but just in case ...

InStr () by default is case sensitive but I would still test it to verify:
instr(field,"STELLAR")>0 should return TRUE FALSE correctly for you unless other values in your field have that string somwhere in them also. If so you can add a Left function round it to just check the first 7 characters.
IP IP Logged
Wilsta
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Wilsta Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 7:24pm
Thanks guys, the field in the database is not case sensitive ... but some applications using it are.  I would update the whole lot to fix the few that are wrong ... but that would take a whole day! 
 
I found an intermediate solution after my post, upper and lower case letters have different ASCII values... so I converted it to ASCII and looked for the differences in ASCII.  Rather messy, but worked!
 
It was hopefully a one off problem as I have fixed the source of the problem as well.  Thanks for the prompt response though. 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum