Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Repeat Group Header on Every Column Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
rexc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote rexc Replybullet Topic: Repeat Group Header on Every Column
     Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 8:28am
I am trying to figure out how to repeat the group header on each column of my multiple column layout. I'm looking for the same functionality as "Repeat Group Header On Each Page", but on the column level. Anyone have any ideas?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 9:38am
Do you mean you want to label your columns at the beginning of each grouping?
Add another GH section below that one (e.g. GH1B) place your column headers on that and they will appear each time the group changes
IP IP Logged
rexc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote rexc Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 10:16am
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the confusion. Actually what I am trying to accomplish is to have the group header (label) show at the top of each column in addition to showing as the group changes. Basically when the number detail records spills into the second column I would like the group header (label) to show again prior to continuing with the remaining detail records.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 10:46am
Gotcha.
I believe what you are looking for is in Group Expert.
Click on the group Expert button.
IN the Window that opens select the grouping that you want the headers repeated for and then click on Options.
Clic on the Options tab in the Change group options window.
There is a check box for "repeat Group Header on Each Page".
Check that as TRUE.
 
You can also further define this with conditional formatting using the
inRepeatedGroupHeader option. It returns a TRUE if a header is being repeated. Example of font color change....
if inRepeatedGroupHeader then crRed else crBlack
 
 
IP IP Logged
rexc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote rexc Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 10:55am
Again, thank you for your reply. I do indeed have the "repeat group headers on each page" already checked. It works great from page to page, but fails to repeat the group header on the top additional columns on the same page. Any other ideas?

Also, thanks for the inRepeatedGroupHeader reference. I'll play around with this option and see if I can work something out.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 11:05am
Dohhhh.
I just kept glossing over the word multi-column. Sorry about that.
 
From Crystal Help under Multiple columns...
 
When you preview the report, you'll see that the field headers appear only for the first column. To have field headers for the second column, insert a text object.
 
IP IP Logged
rexc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote rexc Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 11:37am
Again, thank you for your help. I am not trying to repeat the field headers, but the group headers. I've posted a sample page of the report on our website: http://lehivalley.com/catalog09example.pdf. There are three groups on the report. Candy represents Group1, Chocolate represents Group2, and the Product Name (ex. Chocolate Banana Chips) represents Group3. Referencing the example, on the top of the second column I'd like to see Candy (group1), Chocolate (group2), and Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough (group3), repeated prior to the rest of the details being listed. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 11:53am
I don't think it will do what you want exactly. You can try and mimic it though.
I think the way I would handle that is to use the page header for both items rather than any group header at all.
If you placed the actual Candy and Chocaloate fields in the page Header and format them the way you want they will change per page to match the first record that is on that page. You can format them either all the way across as a single header or you could double column it (mimic of what you were origianlly asking for) as 4 fields instead of 2. You could conditionally suprress the second page headers based on a row count.
THis will only work if you do a new page after group2 change (looks like you are already).
IP IP Logged
rexc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote rexc Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 12:44pm
I'll give it a whirl, thanks so much for your insight.
IP IP Logged
rexc
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote rexc Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 1:46pm
DBlank, one more quick question. I found this post on an old forum (2005):

-----
I think I understand now. I don't think there is any easy way to get the group headers above each column. You might be able to insert another detail section, put the group header field in there and then suppress it everywhere except at the top of the page. That might not be very easy, but I don't think there's anything else that would be easier.
-----

Do you have any thoughts on the formula used to suppress an additional detail section besides at the top of the page?       
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum