I don't have any ideas. Have the BO folks tell you how. In the years that I have been doing this, if the column does not exist in the dataset, you cannot display it on a report. If you are displaying a field on a report and it is not in the dataset, Crystal will throw an error.
Perhaps, and I have never done this and maybe the BO people know how to do this, but posting to this site aren't encouraging, but you might be able to create an entire Crystal report in code. If created this way, it might be possible to create a dynamically generated report, but it would be entirely from code.
Perhaps other will have other suggestions, but in my experience, when you 'write' a crystal report, it becomes very inflexible about the data...if you want to display a field, it needs to be in the schema that you have specified for that report...and it always needs to be there.
I'm on Crystal XI r2 or 3, so there aren't that many changes.
HTH