Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: CRXI - Dynamic Parameters.... All or Last Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Takesen
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 143
Quote Takesen Replybullet Topic: CRXI - Dynamic Parameters.... All or Last
     Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 10:00am

Hi all how's everyone doing today?

I'm trying to figure out a few things to do with these Cascading Dynamic Parameters...
 
Basically we have Panal's of Tests. and dates those Panals were done.
 
2 things I need... These will be 2seperate copies of the same report...
 
1. Is where I can pick the Panal, and I can just pick All or Last Date done....
 
(A lot of these tests are done more than once....)
 
2. Is... Where I can Pick the Test Panals, and it cascades to a series of date selections. to each date that Panal was conducted... and they can pick and choose which dates they want to run the report for...
 
my problem with number 2 is, I was able to get it to work... BUT... If i picked multiple Panals... Duplicates of the dates would populate on the next picklist.... and, ALL the dates would populate on the pick lists... not just the dates of the actual tests....
 
Any Ideas?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 10:22am
I am pretty sure with cascading paramters you do not want to allow for multiple selections unless it is the lowest level of the cascaded parameters.
Only thing that is coming to mind would be to create multiple cascading parameters, 1 set per instnce of selection of the PANAL field but this means they would have to put that many in and would be quite ugly...
IP IP Logged
Takesen
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 143
Quote Takesen Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 10:35am
Seriously? You can't use Cascading parameters for multiple selections like that? :( Well this sucks.... ha. I guess I'll have to see if i can't make find some kind of work around....
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 11:11am

Well testing this out a little more I take this back. It is possible. I thought that it would return no values but it does appear to work "correctly".

Here are your 2 main problems that I can think of.
1. there is no indicator in the selection process to know which dates that appear in parameter are being referenced by any one selection in paramter 1. This will confuse even and end user that is really familiar with the data.
2. If your paramter 1 selections return a like date for paramter 2, you cannot select that date to only be applied to one of the first paramters, it will always be applied to both.
IP IP Logged
Takesen
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 143
Quote Takesen Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 11:25am

Yeah... what I'm seeing is.... (I've tried it two ways, Date first then Panal... and Panal then date)

If i Choose Any multiple panals.... it gives me ALL dates.... even dates neither of them were on... and it produces multiple selections of the same date (As many Panal Descriptions I put in)...

So if there's 9Panal Selections.... I have 9 duplicates of each Date Selection....
 
Same thing happening the other way around too... For each Additional date I select... Duplicate Panal choices appear.... Even if they weren't done on that date....

So if there's 7dates.... I have 7 duplicates for each Panal Selection...

 

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 11:39am
After widening the scope of my test data I am seeing the dupes in the second parameter now too.
From the sounds of it the amount of the data might make this too hard for an end user really work with anyway.
Can you limit them to say 3 selections of PANAL at any one time they run the report? If you created 3 sets of cascading parameters (single selection of PANAL per group) this would clean it up quite a bit.


Edited by DBlank - 05 Jun 2009 at 11:40am
IP IP Logged
Takesen
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 143
Quote Takesen Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 11:54am
Hmmm.... Not exactly sure how I'd go about it... But, I'll look into it some more.... I have a feeling this is gonna be a hard one to resolve.... -sighs-
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum