Greetings!
Our application, written in MS Visual C++ 6.0, includes the ability for
the user to view Crystal Reports reports through the use of the DLL
supplied by CR. Our customer is understandably distressed by the fact
that reports often take 20 seconds to appear after the user
double-clicks the report's icon.
I connected to his computer, ran our application, went to the reports
section, and opened various reports. I found that most reports usually
took twenty seconds to appear. Occasionally, something would be cached
long enough for a report to appear quickly, but that didn't happen
often. But there were two reports that always appeared within a second.
The only difference I could think of that would account for this is that
those reports are new ones developed for this customer. The other
reports were all developed long ago, using older versions of CR. The
DLLs the customer has are for CR XI, and the new reports were also
developed for CR XI. The older reports worked under CR X, but I do not
know if they might have been developed on something even earlier.
It appears that there is some conversion that has to go on whenever CR
XI opens a CR X report, and that conversion is taking almost twenty
seconds.
To test this hypothesis, I created a new report that displays the same
data and uses the same selection formulas as an existing report. Sure
enough, the new report also appeared instantly, never experiencing the
twenty-second delay.
If this hypothesis is indeed correct, is there something I can do to the
old reports that will remove the delay that will be easier than creating
new copies of them from scratch?
Thank you very much!
RobR
P.S. It's not merely a matter of opening the reports in CR XI and then saving them without doing anything else. All of these reports have been modified in CR XI already.