Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Parameter with Wildcard Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Wayne
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 May 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Wayne Replybullet Topic: Parameter with Wildcard
     Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:47am
I am new to Crystal Reports and am trying to create a report for use by our purchasing department.
 I have 2 Parameters that I want to use. One is the Fiscal Year where they can select it from a drop down from the database. That one I might be able to get.
 The one I'm having the main problem with is that using the description field of the database I want to be able for the clerks to enter a partial description i.e. "Battery" and Crystal will show every record that has "Battery" somewhere in the description. So far I've only been able to get it to pull a record if battery is the first word. For that I was using {*Description}.
 The parameter should be empty when the clerk runs the report and then ask for both fiscal year and a partial description.
 **Note-I currently have to pull the information from the ODBC style database that the information resides in now and into a SQL database to get the information I need using SQL reporting Services. The program that runs the purchasing and financial program is a Progress database that they recommend using Crystal reports for when creating reports. When they are created in Crystal then they can be added to the reports listing in the program. This is what I'd like to be able to have is that the Crystal report be embedded as a selection in the reports menu instead of having to go to a report server and pull the information which requires that the database be updated daily with a SQL script.
Any suggesstions would be appreciated. I have just upgraded to Crystal reports 11 hoping that it had the capabilities to do this.
Thanks
Wayne
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2009 at 7:28pm
I think the instring function would be the easiest to use for this...
instr({table.fieldtosearch},{?param})>0
IP IP Logged
kitster100
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jul 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
Quote kitster100 Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:09am
This came in handy today. Thanks DBlank!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum