Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: this field cannot be summarized Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
FredOh
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
Quote FredOh Replybullet Topic: this field cannot be summarized
     Posted: 06 May 2009 at 7:48am

I’m having a problem with an error message “this field cannot be summarized”.

 

I am attempting to count customers that have one or more orders with specific items during a set time period.

 

The data looks like:

Id            order date         types  

1              4/1/09                   1,2,,,,,8,,

1              4/3/09                   1,,,4,,,8,,

1              4/9/09                   1,2,,,5,,,,

2              4/9/09                   1,,,,,,,,,,,

2              4/25/09                ,,,,,,,,8,,,

5              4/18/09                1,,,4,,,,,,

 

I want to count all customers with one or more occurrences of items 2 or 8.

The above data should return a count of 2.

So far I have:

1) grouped on Id

2) created a formula to return 1 or 0 for each detail line occurrence

3) summed the occurrence values in the group footer

4) created a formula to return 1 for any group sum >0

 

I then attempted to sum the values from step 4) in the report footer. This is when I got the error message “This field cannot be summarized”

 

I’m still very new to Crystal Reports.  There may be a much easier way to get at this information.  As the nature of this report will be a common result we are looking for, I’d also like to learn what determines whether a field can be summarized. I looked in my reference books and didn’t have any luck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2009 at 8:35am
YOu can do a Running Total as a distinct count of ID# set to count conditionally. In the evaluate for portion of the RT use your formula for the 1/0. Just swap it to only meet the "1" condition (no if-then process).
YOu can have a RT per group if needed (reset at group1) and once for the entire report (never rset). Set the same way other than the reset option.
YOur RT (s) can be placed in the Group footer per group and the report footer for the entire count.
IP IP Logged
FredOh
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
Quote FredOh Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2009 at 8:18am
Thanks DBlank! Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was called out of town. Your solution worked great.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum