Topic: Limitation for Crystal Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 2:59am
Hi
I am new to crystal reports and have minimal knowledge in writing queries. But I have good understanding of DB structure and relations. I have seen/worked little in Crystal report 5.1.
Could any one let me know the followings
i) Where/Which part of documentation will tell me about limitaions of Crystal reports. I have a requirement where it looks for processing which can't be done even with joint or union of queries.
ii) How the stored procedures will work in crystal reports.
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 6:08am
I don't know about limitations, but as for stored procedures, you write your stored procedure and then use it as a datasource, just like a table. Crystal will generate a parameter list that matches what the stored procedure is looking for.
Stored procedure provide much more flexiblity as you know, since you can perform processes in them that you can't accomplish by straight selects.
Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 8:38am
I use C.R. XIr2 in several VS2005 .NET application that are used both in house and by our customers. It's not a limitation, but important to know when designing reports... a few things will help speed up report generation, a "flat" dataset (few relational tables) and try to limit the number of formulas in sub-reports (and the number of sub-reports). We found a 6x increase in report rendering (very rich report) once we moved the sub-reports into the main report as a Section. Other than that, it's a very versatile reporter....
I am looking for limitations because few requirements need looping. So I worried about making queries. Then I thought about having a stored procedure and calling it multiple times.
Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 9:01am
As lockwelle stated, if you have work to do on the data for the report, it is best to generate the results, place them into tables (or tableAdapters) then have the report merely request the data. How are you planning on calling the report, VB, C#, Java ?
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 9:03am
No, crystal will not call a stored multiple times. If you know the loops, you can build that into the stored proc so that you get just one recordset back with everything you need. This creates the 'flat' dataset that scotthereld mentions, and I totally agree with.
I always build a record that has everything I need, which pretty well eliminates subreports.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum