| Author |
Message |
crystalgal
Groupie
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 66
|

Topic: Unduplicate before printing Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:43am |
Hello,
I am trying to suppress the duplicate records in my label report and facing following problem:
These are addresses. If the addresses are repeated it should be suppressed. I used "Suppress if duplicated" and it worked but the problem is the city, state and zip can have multiple records and is getting suppressed. So I added the formula in city/state and zip but that overwrites the suppress if duplicated. The user wants to see all the data but while printing, doest not want duplicate records.
What can I do different? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Crystalgal
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 7:54am |
Just a thought, I haven't tried it, but maybe it will help.
Create a formula where you concatenate the address into a string, and then suppress duplicates based on this formula. I am guessing that you would need to put the formula onto the report, but you can probably suppress it and still have it work.
Hopefully this helped some or led to a method that does work.
|
IP Logged |
|
crystalgal
Groupie
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 66
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 8:27am |
The user has changes her mind. Now she does not want to see the duplicates.
The issue now is as we have to get the addresses for different term(summer,winter,fall) and different subjects we are getting duplicates and need to unduplicate this part. I tried "max function", different formulas but nothing has worked.
Any suggestions?
TIA
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 8:56am |
|
can you post how your report is set up with data fields and grouping and where the dupes are and where you want to exclude them?
|
IP Logged |
|
crystalgal
Groupie
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 66
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 9:39am |
Thanks for reading my problem.
These are the labels I am doing for the addresses for students.
As students take different classes during a year. It gives multiples rows of the addresses.
I did "group by" name which worked if there was only one term and one subject. But the user needs to pick different terms and different subjects and group by would not work.
I need to see only one record for multiple terms and subjects per student.
TIA
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 11:38am |
OK. Still not sure of all the criteria and nuances but you could conditionally suppress the record if the previous(table.studentname)=table.studentname
or if you have dates associated and you want the most recent, group on the name and sort descending on the date field and do the same process.
If that won't work can you explain in more detail what condition is preventing it from doing what you need? Edited by DBlank - 09 Apr 2009 at 11:39am
|
IP Logged |
|
crystalgal
Groupie
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 66
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 12:01pm |
Thank you for the reply. It is hard to explain but I will try.
I tried the previous(ftd) but as this is label report, sorted by zip code-there will be blank space next to the first one if there are duplicates, for example
Tim Tim
address1 address1
city,state zip city,state zip
in my case, if the name and address are same, the second Tim and address is all blank and the report looks awkard with all these blank spaces in the report.
There are no dates, the parameter is the terms and subjects the students have taken.
Any solutions?
Thank you so much
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 12:14pm |
A couple of more questions...
Are the address records always the same for each row of the student? If not, how are you suppose to know which one to display because there is no date associated to know what is the most recent one...
What is your data source? I think the easiest solution would be to set up a query or stored procedure to filter this down to one record per student before you get to crystal. Is this a possibility for you?
|
IP Logged |
|
crystalgal
Groupie
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 66
|

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 6:45am |
Thank you for trying.
I figured it out. Used the formula in Detail Section and it did the trick. 
Thanks again,
Crystalgal
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|