Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Dynamic Parameter Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
MidnightVulpine
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 Mar 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote MidnightVulpine Replybullet Topic: Dynamic Parameter Issues
     Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 7:05am
Greetings.

I've been having some issues with parameters that have really puzzled me. Sadly I'm still new to CR and training has been slow to come for me so I've had to delve in without a lot of support.

Dynamic parameters in CR 11 have been giving me some troubles. The key one being that when I add a certain field to the cascading list of parameters, my number o choices at the top of the heap diminishes considerably.

Now, all of the values in the cascading parameter are drawn from the same table. So I would assume that it isn't a matter of poor linking or one table not having the data that others do and so forth.

The parameter itself is one that lets you pick from a main group, three sub groupings and two tests names. The addition is to pick a particular individual who did the test, rather than all of those in the group who took it. The prior report that did not have the participant requirement works fine. But the moment I put in that extra field into the parameter, the choices go from ~30 to ~ 10.

Which seems wrong considering that all of the values in the parameter are from the same table. I'm mystified as to what the issue might be, since cascading parameters aren't deeply involving to make, which means there are few options to tweak to try and figure out what is wrong(as far as I know) and wonder if anyone out there has had this sort of problem crop up before. Any assistance would be deeply appreciated.



Edited by MidnightVulpine - 20 Mar 2009 at 7:06am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 7:21am
When you say the choices go from 30 to 10, which choices exactly are you referring to, what is the sequence of choices (Group, sub group then test name or inverted) and do you have one of the 2 "Test Names" associated to every record / row?
IP IP Logged
MidnightVulpine
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 Mar 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote MidnightVulpine Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 7:45am
Basically, the upper levels of the cascading parameter lose values that showed before. The first selection has four that commonly come up. With participant added in, it goes to 1. The next group down is the one that loses out a lot of them.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 9:13am
hmmm...I cannot replicate this scenario at all.
For clarity sake is your dynamic parameter set up as 4 levels:
main group
      sub group
           test names
                 test person
and do you have actual parameter values for each level that are being used in your select statement?
I would recreate the parameter adding each of these levels from scratch and see if that helps ersolve it.
IP IP Logged
MidnightVulpine
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 Mar 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote MidnightVulpine Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:54am
It's a bit deeper than that, but I was keeping things simpler for the explanation. The original report, which seems to work fine, has a hierarchy of the following:

Member_group
  Sub_Group_1
    Sub_Group_2
      Sub_Group_3
        Test_Name

The customer likes groupings.

The new report is supposed to select similarly, but add on narrowing out a single person from the members of said group subset. Making a copy of the report and recreating the parameter as above, with the addition of participant ends up with a smaller list of options at the higher levels.

That this isn't a 'known' sort of issue leads me to wonder if its a table issue, but I don't see how it would be, since all of the above values are drawn from the same table. There is no linking issue that could be involved in this in such a cause, could there?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:58am
Where is the new group (that is causing problems) being inserted into this heirachy?
 
Member_group
  Sub_Group_1
    Sub_Group_2
      Sub_Group_3
        Test_Name
IP IP Logged
MidnightVulpine
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 Mar 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote MidnightVulpine Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:15am
At the bottom of the hierarchy for the combined parameter.

The odd thing to go along with that is that I tried making it a separate parameter, such that there were two of them. So the old one and a second one with Sub_Group_1 then participant. Still got limited sub_group_1 records with just the two friends as a separate cascading parameter.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:39am
It sure seems to be acting like it is a join issue and dropping records before it even gets to the select statement.
Sorry, I just don't know what it is doing and have tried to replicate it in a dozen different ways and can't seem to make it do what you describe. I always get all the records at the top level and appropriately linked items as it moves down the heirarchy.
I would double check your links (if you have any in this report) and the select expert, both the Record and Group selects to make sure nothing is weird there...
Anyone else have any thoughts?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 11:48am
Just as a test maybe try dropping the Test_Name and replacing it with teh problem person field. Just wondering if it does not like 6 levels deep...
IP IP Logged
MidnightVulpine
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 Mar 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote MidnightVulpine Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 7:12am
Sorry about the delay in response.

The issue isn't depth as I've done a parameter with two items(sub_group_1 and participant) and it still limits the options I have.

I also don't think its a linking issue because, for all of the parameters I've tried, the parameter fields are pulled from the same table, with no change in how the tables that are part of the report are linked because I adjust the parameters in a copy of the same report, without any adjustment to the database links.

Though I suppose it has to be something wrong with the tables themselves that is causing this because I can't see how this is a CR issue, if no one has an explanation for it.

I do thank you for your assistance in this. I'll keep an eye here just in case some more thoughts are generated.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum