Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Parameter values in Grouping Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
biggysmalls
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote biggysmalls Replybullet Topic: Parameter values in Grouping
     Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 10:00am
Hi guys I have a problem, I'm using a crosstab report to display my data and I have created Parameter Values so that I can have a certain grouping level. 
 
For example - if someone wanted to view by sire, then contract,then program, the crosstab would show this in the 3 different stages.  However, my problem is that if they only want to group by 1 level how do i initialise the other 2 parameter values to null so that it still doesn't expect 3 grouping levels?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 10:27am
I think you could easily handle this by creating 3 crosstab reports on 3 different header of footers (RHa, RHb, RHc). Make one report with each variation of inclusion or exclusion of grouping then conditionally suppress 2 of the headers/footers (and therfore the crosstabs) based on the parameter choosen.
I don't think you can conditionally suppress rows or columns in the crosstab itself.
IP IP Logged
biggysmalls
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote biggysmalls Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 2:51am
Thanks bud I'll give it a try - it does seem a long way round to do this. Although I appreciate the input - what does the group select expert do? Can this be used somehow to surpress a group?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 3:59pm
YOu can easily suppress groups in the report by using the conditional suppresses in the section expert but that won't impacy the crosstab.
The Group Expert can be used for changing the grouping order, doing top or bottom N options and a few other things but again, no way that I know for it to impact a crosstab. The crosstab acts independendetly of setting up the rest of your report.
It should be pretty easy to do though .Create your most base leved crosstab and get it set the way you want. Copy it and place the copy in the next section up then remove the group you don't want repeat for the 3rd version.
In your section expert then conditionally suppress RH1 where ?parmater <> the paramenter setting you choose to display that one and repeat for PH2 and PH3.
IP IP Logged
biggysmalls
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote biggysmalls Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 4:57am

Thanks this worked a treat.  Ultimately this problem was made by me because I was hoping for a pivot table in crystal (just like excel) so someone could choose certain options then it would create a crosstab and they would be able to drag and drop fields to change the crosstab which is why I wanted the grouping question answered.  Using this method they can choose 1,2 or 3 parameters and it will show up like a pivot table (using the instructions you gave me). I've looked on the net - I'm not sure you can implement a pivot table in Crystal Reports? Can you?  I need it so every column of data is like an Object that can be dragged into a report and the crosstab appears with whatever data they have decided to use?

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 7:31am

No Pivot tables in Crystal but I believe what you are describing would translate into an OLAP Cube Report for crystal. I have never built one of these nor have a designed an OLAP data cube so I can't assist you with it. I am looking forward to learning this process but have not had time or a mandate to create one yet Wink but you might try looking into it to see if it is what you need for future reporting needs.

IP IP Logged
biggysmalls
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote biggysmalls Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 2:59am
Thanks fella - i'll look into it.  Thank you for all your help!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum