Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Dynamic /cascading Prompt Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
crystalgal
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 66
Quote crystalgal Replybullet Topic: Dynamic /cascading Prompt
     Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:39am

I am trying to use the Dynamic/Cascading prompt and when I pick my selections in Crystal it brings all the data(300 thousand+) where as when I use the same sql in toad with the same parameter I get 25 rows which is correct. Why is this happening? I am lost!!

I have read, re-read and re-read all about dynamic prompts and feel like I am doing exactly what the book says.
Somebody please help!!!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 10:47pm
The tricky part about DCPs is that they have to get all the possible data that the user MIGHT choose from. Plus, it has to do this for every possible combination of data in the database. This is a necessary evil. Thus, you can get huge Cartesian resultsets. I suspect that this is what is happening with your report. 
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum