Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Selectively eliminate group totals on crosstab Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
JimR
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote JimR Replybullet Topic: Selectively eliminate group totals on crosstab
     Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 9:29pm

Hi guys:

 

I am a complete newbie to this tool and am struggling a bit trying to develop a report for HR that will breakdown headcount by country and city for each of our 6 divisions.  I've tried doing this with a crosstab and it's close, but I haven't found a way to include additional fields when grouping by city (e.g. HR wants both the city AND the legal entity name to show in the row).

 
The data driving the report includes a row for each employee, their division, country, physical location (city and legal entity), type (office or factory). 

 

An example of what they are wanting is shown below: 

Country / Physical Location

Physical Location City

Division 1

Division 2

Division 3

Total Headcount

Office

Factory

Office

Factory

Office

Factory

Australia

0

15

73

150

0

0

238

Company Name - Australia

City A

10

15

0

0

0

0

25

Company Name - Australia Pty Ltd

City B

0

0

73

150

0

0

223

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Austria

0

0

12

25

50

96

183

Company Name - ABCD GmbH (sales)

City C

0

0

12

25

0

0

37

Company Name Austria GmbH

City D

0

0

0

0

50

96

146

 
Also, is there a way to selectively turn off totals for groups within a crosstab?  Still reading the manual, but haven't found it as yet.  As I noted above, I tried doing this with a crosstab, but I’m getting a total column for each division and HR isn’t wanting this.  In otherwords, for Division 1 I get a column for Office, Factory, and a Total of both.

 

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance....

 

Jim



Edited by JimR - 21 Feb 2009 at 9:47am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 2:35pm
in your crosstab expert you can click on the Customize Style tab and select the "Suppress Row grand totals" and/or "Suppress Column Grand Totals" to remove the undesired extra totals.
As for the "HR wants both the city AND the legal entity name to show in the row)" you can use a formula to create that field type and use it in the crosstab rather than the one or the other.
Create a new formula field and call it something like "City and Legal Name" (note this will be in your column header):
{table.cityfield} + ' - ' + {table.legalentityfield}
or however you want it to appear.
Use this formula instead of the city field to get your combo data


Edited by DBlank - 23 Feb 2009 at 2:36pm
IP IP Logged
LoftyL
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote LoftyL Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:46am
I have exactly the same issue with an almost identical report format

It seems that the nesting of two sources at the top of the cross-tab masks the nested total from the effects of "suppress column grand totals". If you look in design view the suppressed totals are hatched out, but the unwanted total is still clear, and there appears to be no way to remove/suppress it.

I'd love to know what the answer to this is, as I have been working towards producing a report for about 9 months and this is the only oustanding obstacle. I'm sure it must be a bug.

Not very helpful as a solution I'm afraid

The best I've managed is to edit the text and delete the word "Total" so that the field is blank, then reduce the width of the column to as small as possible.

 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum