Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Topic: Can't connect to SQL server Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 12:00pm
I am a novice Crystal and SQL user, but have a SQL Server Express 2008 database connection established and am trying to reach that connection through my newly installed Crystal Reports. I connect to SQL using Windows Authentication, but Crystal is asking me for a UserName and Password in order to make a connection. Can someone help me get started here, please? I would be much obliged!
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 5:44am
I already can and do login to SQL through Windows authentication. I don't know how to login using SQL Server authentication, as I don't know a UserID or Password. I've tried by OLEDB and ODBC, but in both cases they're looking for a userid and password.
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 11:13am
Update to previous post - I was able to make a connection by adding \SQLEXPRESS to the end of the server name and choosing my database when it came up in the dropdown. But when I try to expand the nodes I get "object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation" - which I don't understand, but I do know that I can go into SQL Server Management and update the database just fine (it uses Windows Authorization, as mentioned earlier). Can ANYONE tell me what I need? Very frustrated!
Joined: 14 May 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 12:14pm
MaryFran:
It sounds like you've just about got it. I'm not sure if the following is what you're doing, but I've connected to SQL databases from Crystal several times and this has always worked for me.
In the Database Expert, select Create New Connection and choose OLE DB (ADO). Select the Native SQL Client provider from the list (you have to scroll down to the bottom).
Select your data source from the drop down, and the database. Check-off "Integrated Security", and click Finish, not Next. If you click Next, you will end up getting an error, you must click Finish.
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 12:28pm
OMG, that was it, Luis - the only difference between what I did and what you instructed was that I pressed Next to get my connection and you said to press Finish - why would that cause me an error? Oh well, I can't thank you enough!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum