Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Help with satisfaction survey report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
wolfmac
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote wolfmac Replybullet Topic: Help with satisfaction survey report
     Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 1:56pm
I am a beginner programmer and new to Crystal. I am working on a report that summarizes the results of questionnaires that our consultants send to our clients. The raw data is structured as follows

Consultant Client " Q1 Strong Approve"  "Q1 Approve"  "Q1 Disapprove" "Q1 Strong Dissaprove"

Sally            Acme               1                      0                  0                  0
Sally            Big, Inc            0                      0                 1                    0
Jim              Acme                0                      1                 0                    0
Tom            AAA Inc            1                       0                0                     0

etc.

My final report needs to show the % Strong Approve, % Approve ... both by client and by consultant.

I can solve this by creating formulas for each question at both the consultant and company level- i.e.
% Strong Approve Q1 by Consultant, % Approve Q1 by Consultant, % Disapprove Q1 by Consultant...
% Strong Approve Q1 by Client, % Approve Q1 by Client...

but based on the number of questions and possible answers, the report would require 85 formulas.

Can someone provide some insight into a better way to do this than creating each formula indivdually? I'm certain there is a way - just don't know how to get started.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rafe

Regards,

Rafe
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 4:29pm
One approach - You could create 2 sub reports in a main report.
Group one report on the Consultant field and use the Summary function at group footer1 per response field to get the percentages per response categories.
The second sub-report would do the same but be grouped on the Client field.
Or you could create a paremeter field and have the user choose which item they want to view. This would not display both sets in one report but may be another solution for you.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 7:07am
I haven't done this with Crystal, but when I was doing marketing reports we would use a style called Cross Tabs, which Crystal supports.  If it is anything like the program that I used, you could define your clients down the side and the consultants across the top with answers in between...but I have never used the Crystal cross tabs.
 
You might also consider writing a Custom Function for the report where you pass in the parameters and it returns a response, it won't neccessarily cut down on the number of formulas, but would make for less typing as in that many of formulas, there is a lot of cut and paste.
 
Otherwise, DBlank suggestions seem reasonable.  To further cut down on coding, since both subreports would be the same except for the grouping, you could make the grouping based on a formula and you could pass the parameter in, this way you would only have 1 subreport to support, just displayed twice.  I think this would work, I haven't tried it with subreports (1 subreport used twice in the same report), but the grouping based on a formula, I use all the time.
 
Hope this leads you to a solution.
IP IP Logged
wolfmac
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote wolfmac Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 7:21pm
Thanks for the support.  I went with a "cut an paste" option and changed the parameters for each formula.   The deadline didn't permit a more elegant solution.  Next time...
 
Regards,

Rafe
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum