Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Distributing CR XI Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
PLTyler
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Quote PLTyler Replybullet Topic: Distributing CR XI
     Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 9:48am
I am using VB6 and have recently upgrading to CR XI from CR 8.5. Normally I would use the Package and Deployment Wizard in VB 6 (yes, I know its clumsy).

I read that I should use Windows Installer with Crystal Merge Modules in order to deploy the required CR XI DLL's.

My question is - where is Windows Installer? I have downloaded it a number of times but cannot locate it as an application on my system.

Is there a way to just point to the required CR XI DLL's, as in the past, with the Package and Deployment Wizard?

Thanks in advance!

Peter Tyler
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 2:55pm
Hi Peter,
 
I haven't used VB6 in years, so I have forgotten most of it. But the Windows Installer you are downloading isn't really what you are looking for. When you create a setup/deployment project it includes the Windows Installer as part of the exe. Thus, it's all built.
 
Re CR XI, I think that the merge modules are for .NET only. Your best bet is to download the redistributable CR file and include it in your VB6 install. This is a self-installing package that puts all the CR files on the client computer. You can find it at SAP's support site for CR.
 


Edited by BrianBischof - 05 Jan 2009 at 2:58pm
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
PLTyler
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Quote PLTyler Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 11:55pm
Hello Brian.

Thanks for your quick reply. The reason I ask about Merge Modules is that the CR XI documentation specifically states: "The installer package created by a Microsoft Windows installer consumes the merge module (.msm files). You can then distribute the shared components required by Crystal Reports by including the appropriate .msm files in your .msi file" (see below).

I do not find any reference to a "self-installing package" on SAP's site (but so many links are broken between BO and SAP that its impossible to find anything anymore.)

So I am wondering if I just include the appropriate MSM file in the VB package will it be 'consumed' by the installation process as promised. I somehow doubt it.

Peter Tyler


The CR XI documentation states the following :

"Crystal Reports now includes merge modules (.msm files) to aid you in deploying the report components needed to run your application.

For trouble-free deployment of Crystal Reports components, it is recommended that you include the Crystal Reports merge modules in your installation. A merge module is a single package used to provide developers with a standard method of delivering all shared code, files, resources, registry entries, and setup logic. All necessary information required by a Microsoft Windows installer (.msi file) to install a shared component is included in the merge module. The installer package created by a Microsoft Windows installer consumes the merge module (.msm files). You can then distribute the shared components required by Crystal Reports by including the appropriate .msm files in your .msi file."


IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum