Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Simple Linking Issue...but need help Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
snapper
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote snapper Replybullet Topic: Simple Linking Issue...but need help
     Posted: 18 Dec 2008 at 3:05pm
Hello everyone,
I am fairly new to Crystal and have been trying to teach myself more in depth items as i progress. But I am truly stuck now!
So I have two tables on the same database. Table1 and Table 2 share similar data.
 
Table1
CR#     Task# 
345      23          
 
Table2 
CR#     PO ID 
345      9-3
 
What I need is a report that looks like:
CR#    Task#      PO ID
345     23            9-3
 
 
 
Any help would be awesome....like I said its probably pretty simple.
Thanks Everyone!
 
Nick 
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 1:42am
Hi
 
What you need to is to join two tables ,when you select both the tables in Database Expert  and click next a new tab will be created called Links Click on that tab you will see the tables no what you need is to link the tables
Select Cr# from Table One and drag towards Table 2 and link to CR# from table 2 this will be a inner join .
 
Then you can select fields that you want from Table1 and Table 2
 
Note:-The report will only return matching records from both the tables which have common CR# id as it is inner join
 
Cheers
Rahul


Edited by rahulwalawalkar - 19 Dec 2008 at 1:43am
IP IP Logged
snapper
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote snapper Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 9:28am
Thanks for your response!
 
I tried this but for some reason I get 0 results when I refresh the data.
An Inner join should be fine? Do I need to change the enforcement?
 
 
 Also there are multiple task numbers for one CR but I dont think that would make a difference.
 
Thanks for your help! 


Edited by snapper - 19 Dec 2008 at 9:42am
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 9:52am
Hi
 
Can you post the sample data from both tables...........
 
cheers
Rahul
IP IP Logged
snapper
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote snapper Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 10:41am
Actually nevermind. I found the issue.
I am using Crystal to pull from a Remedy Database and supposedly the Remedy ODBC doesnt let you link tables....Great!
 
I read this on the forum below
 
Thats my issue Confused
 
Thanks for all your help
IP IP Logged
theBlueFrog
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote theBlueFrog Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 4:04pm
What a bizarre limitation!

Anyway, perhaps a workaround is to create a view in the database, joining your two tables in the view and selecting the fields you need for your report?

You can then reference the view in Crystal via the Remedy ODBC driver and you won't need to worry about using joins in Crystal.

Admittedly I am assuming a level of knowledge of SQL and that you will be able to create this join, but it won't be a difficult thing to work through.
Anton Wilson
Microsoft CRM Consultant &
Crystal Reports specialist
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum