Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal with SQL Server stored proc Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
CRNewbie32
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote CRNewbie32 Replybullet Topic: Crystal with SQL Server stored proc
     Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 1:39pm
I'm somewhat new to Crystal and I'm writing reports based on stored procedures which is not the norm here so when I run into problems, I hear "I've never written a Crystal report from a stored procedure." I have 2 questions:
1) Does anybody routinely do this?
2) I wrote a rather complex stored procedure, created a report and it was working and published on Lawson's dashboard for testing. I changed something and changed the proc name (I don't remember why) and the report will not work now. And I have renamed the proc, created a new report based on the proc and it still won't work. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue. The users that tested it want it bad and I am stuck. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TrytoworkwithSQLServerCrystal
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 7:20am
First, I would guess that plenty use stored procs.  I only use stored procs, and have since the day I learned Crystal back in Crystal 7.
 
As to your second question, I don't know what Lawson's dashboard is, but the basic question is if you change a stored procs name how do you modify the report to respond to this.
 
I haven't tried it, but this is the path that I would explore.  In Database/St Datasource Location, I would go the database that has your stored proc, drill down to the new stored proc, highlight it (on the bottom half), highlight the report stored proc in the top half and hit 'Update'.
 
Hopefully this will work, as rewriting a report tends to be a pain.  I usually have to do something similar when I change recordset layout as I use XML to set the datasource in my reports.
 
I hope this helps, and you are not alone using stored procs...it really is the most flexible way to go IMHO.
IP IP Logged
CRNewbie32
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote CRNewbie32 Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 8:58am
That's good to hear--that you use and recommend stored procs. It's the way we worked at my prior job. I tried the Data Source Update with no luck. However, I have my IE updates back on so I'll see if I can update or if a new report is required (which I can do but obviously would not be my first choice). Smile
TrytoworkwithSQLServerCrystal
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum