| Author |
Message |
theotherdodge
Groupie
Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 40
|

Topic: specific data in fields only Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 9:48am |
Hi all. I am very new to Crystal. I have pretty good knowlege and experience with MS Access though.
I have a report that uses 3 tables with these fields (only giving the tables and fields that are important to the question):
PRCW: Employee, udSpvr
PREH: Employee, LastName, FirstName
I have the joins and call pull the records correctly, but have a problem displaying them.
I have some formula fields that depending on udSpvr, the result may show or a '' if not. That all works, but I can't get them to show in one "grouping".
I want the results to look like this:
Project Supervisor: Frank Smith
General Foreman: Dave Wilson
Foreman:
What Im getting is:
Project Supervisor: Frank Smith
General Foreman:
Foreman:
Project Supervisor:
General Foreman: Dave Wilson
Foreman:
Project Supervisor:
General Foreman:
Foreman:
Any ideas? Thanks!
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:13am |
Since you are new to Crystal, let me ask a basic question first. Are you saying that grouping isn't working, or that you don't know how to turn grouping on? If you don't know how to turn it on, just go to the menu options Report > Group Expert. Then selet the field you want to group on.
If you have grouping turned on, but it isn't working correctly, then let me know and we can see how to proceed.
Also, since you are new to Crystal Reports, you might want to check out my Crystal Reports Encyclopedia book. It has many tutorials to walk you through all the steps of creating reports. You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
theotherdodge
Groupie
Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 40
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 11:18am |
Brian, I know about grouping and tried that. When I do grouping (on crew number, because that is how that "employee crew" is set up, I get the same output as above.
Here is the formula field I am using (maybe that is the prob):
For Project Supervisor:
if {PRCW.udSprv} = 'PSUPV-D' then if {PREH.Suffix} = '' then (trim({PREH.LastName})&', '&{PREH.FirstName}&' '&{PREH.MidName}) else ({PREH.LastName}&' '&{PREH.Suffix}&', '&{PREH.FirstName}&' '&{PREH.MidName}) else ''
In General Foreman and Foreman, the formula changes so that "PRCW.udSprv" changes accordingly
Is there away to attach screen shots in this forum?
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 12:04pm |
A screen shot would be nice (everything looks ok as far as I can tell), but you cant attach them to the forum. You could post it to a public place like Flickr.com and put a link here.
Why are you grouping on crew number? From your first post, it looks like you should be grouping on projet supervisor.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
theotherdodge
Groupie
Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 40
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 12:23pm |
Ok here you go: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20457398@N07/3038330115/
The first part is the design view
The second part is the results
The third part is how I want it to look
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 1:12pm |
A picture is worth a thousand words (or a thousand posts...)
You don't have grouping on this report. If you look in the grey area to the left, there are the sections Page Header and Details. If you have grouping in use, there would also be Group Header 1 and Group Footer 1.
How did you create the group? You need to go under Report > Group Expert and select that formula you built to group on.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
theotherdodge
Groupie
Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 40
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 1:55pm |
I did have grouping... I have tried so many different things. This example prob was without the grouping.
What should I group by? Here is a pic of when I grouped by each diff type of sprv.
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 2:55pm |
that's the same link from the previous post.
You should group by that formula you created in the previous post.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 4:12pm |
|
You should probably go get a book too. That would save you quite a few hours of trial and error.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
theotherdodge
Groupie
Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 40
|

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 7:40pm |
Whoops...here is the correct link:
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|