Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Dynamic Table Selection - is it possible Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
ollief
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Sep 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote ollief Replybullet Topic: Dynamic Table Selection - is it possible
     Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 2:41am
I'm new to Crystal Reports and have dug through some examples and seen some designed reports.

However I want to answer a relatively basic question:

Is it possible in Crystal Reports to design a report which dynamically selects the tables based on parameter selection lists which are presented to the user.

I'll use a more simple example than the actual solution required.

Imagine I'm populating a parameter dialog which presents a list of Customers, MyBank & BigBank

If the user selects MyBank then the query for the report should drive off MYBANK_STATISTICS.

I'm using a simplified example here. In reality there are 100's of tables so we're looking for a "Counter Browser" type functionality.

Is this possible or are Crystal Reports always bound to a defined set of tables at design time?

thanks in advance


IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 11:07am
This is not possible just through Crystal unless you have a very limited list of Customers and you're willing to change the report everytime you add, change, or delete a customer.  Then whether or not it's possible would depend on your table structures and how things link together.
 
How are you delivering the report?  If you're writing a web or Windows application and the fields in the tables all have the same names, then you could have the user chose the customer as part of your application and then dynamically set the table name(s) on the report before running it.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
ollief
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Sep 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote ollief Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 7:00am
Thanks very much for responding and for the information.

Is it even possible in Crystal Analysis Professional? Someone has mentioned this as a possible solution.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 7:24am

I'm not familiar with Crystal Analysis, so I'm afraid I can't answer that question.  Sorry!

-Dell

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum