Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Cannot read long char in excel Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
FerdieBanu
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Location: Singapore
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 13
Quote FerdieBanu Replybullet Topic: Cannot read long char in excel
     Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 7:11am
Hi I'm newbie in Crystal.
 
I'm writing a crystal reports that displays long description from excel file.
One of the field called 'Description' has a very long value (approx. 2000 chars). Each time we run the report an error occured, and it cannot display the entire report (blank). But when we put  small number of chars in description (less than a hundred) it works fine.
 
Though we set the field format to CAN GROW, same problem occur.
 
Has anyone of you encountered this problem?
 
Please share your ideas.....
 
 
Thanks in advance,
 
Ferdie Banu
 
IP IP Logged
dfolzenlogen
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Quote dfolzenlogen Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 7:26pm
Yes.  It's been a while.  Give me some time and I'll see I can find my notes.
IP IP Logged
dfolzenlogen
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Quote dfolzenlogen Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 8:03pm

I remember now I handled this issue in the past.  This is the "quick and dirty way".

Go to the Description column in the first row of your Excel spreadsheet.  Press F2 (Edit) ==> go to the end of data in cell and then enter enough spaces to make the field large enough so that Crystal Reports will recognize this as a Memo field.  (This padding with spaces is just temporary).  Save the spreadsheet and open Crystal Reports.  Open and expand the Explorer pane in CR.  If you do not see the field types (string, number, Memo) after your field names, then right click on "Database Fields" at the top of the Explorer pane and select "Show Field Type".  The field type should now say "Memo" after the Description field (you may need to refresh your data and/or go to Database ==>Verify Database.
If you still the field type as String after the Description field then "save" the report and repeat the steps outlined above.  Once you get CR to recognize the Description as a Memo field and are successful in running your report then save the report and go back into your Excel spreadsheet and remove the padded spaces in the Description field in Row 1 of your data.
 
I will try to find the Microsoft explanation for this in my files.
Let me know if this works for you.
IP IP Logged
FerdieBanu
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Location: Singapore
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 13
Quote FerdieBanu Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 7:57am

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. I already converted my field to memo(s). Clap

One more question, how can I fix the field to memo? I notice eveytime my memo fields contains less than 255 chars, Crystal treats it as string instead of memo because during run time Crystal display on the screen "Database has been changed, press ok to continue". That message looks kinda an ugly to the user. How can I suppress it? Confused
 
Many Thanks.


Edited by FerdieBanu - 22 Sep 2008 at 7:57am
IP IP Logged
dfolzenlogen
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Quote dfolzenlogen Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 8:13am
what version of Excel and what version of Crystal are you running?  I don't get this error.   Let me know versions and I'll see what I can do.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum