You need to create a formula which parses the text from each of the date related positions in the string and returns the date value. Then you can sort or group on this formula to get the data in the right order. You can put the full field anywhere on the report so that the user still sees the funky field but has no idea that you use a formula behind the scenes for sorting. Here is a sample formula off the top of my head (you might have to debug it if I have a typo):
//Parse two digits at a time and plug into CDate(year, month, day) function
CDate(2000+Val(Mid({table.field}, 5,2)), Val(Mid({table.field},1,2)), Val(Mid({table.field},3,2)))
//
Replace {table.field} with your report field and after you check that I didn't screw up my parentheses, then this should do the trick.

Also, I have the complete Crystal syntax documented with sample code in three chapters of my Encyclopedia book. You can find out more about my books at
Amazon.com or reading the
Crystal Reports eBooks online.
Edited by BrianBischof - 20 Aug 2008 at 1:57pm