Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Converting MS Access SQL to Crystal Reports Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
laknight
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote laknight Replybullet Topic: Converting MS Access SQL to Crystal Reports
     Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 8:09am
Hi, I just received Crystal Reports this past week, so I am very new to this. I have been using MS Access for 3 years and have created a vast array of queries and reports through Accesss. I now need to convert (or rebuild) them all in Crystal Reports.
 
The problem I am having is that the SQL Syntax from Access to CR is sooooooo different. Can anyone tell me what SQL syntax is being used by CR? I use an ODBC datasource connection to Pervasive Tables.
 
I can't even create a simple command because I just can't seem to get the syntax correct, like the difference between using [ in Access versus { in CR or " in Access and ' in CR.
 
Should I be looking at Pervasive syntax? Is that the same as PSQL?
 
laknight
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 11:39am
Crystal is easiest to use if you don't write the syntax yourself. Let Crystal worry about how it all works. When you create a new report, it lets you pick the tables you want to print from. Then it lets you link them together to create the JOIN statements. It uses this information to build your SQL statement. That's all you need to do. If, for some reason, you need more complex SQL, you can use the menu option View SQL Query to see how Crystal built the SQl for your database and then use that as a basis for how to write your own syntax. And if you need to write a WHERE clause, use the record selection formula expert. I bet that 99% of your reports can be built without you writing any SQL.

Since you're new to Crystal Reports, you would probably benefit from checking out my Encylcopedia book. It has numerous tutorials in it and two chapters of how to best use SQL in your reports. You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum