Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Subreports Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Lauraleigh99
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Lauraleigh99 Replybullet Topic: Subreports
     Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 7:48am

I have a Subreport linked to my report.  On my subreport I would like to have titles from my report header to show on every page of the report.  I have that option checked under Format Ojects, then repeat on horizantal pages and it is not working??  Is there something that I am missing??



Edited by Lauraleigh99 - 13 Aug 2008 at 9:04am
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 11:49am
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do. If you want to copy the titles from your main report to the subreport. You will need to create formulas using 'shared variables' to move the information from the main report to the subreport. You can look in the help file or search the forum since this has been explained many times. If you cant find it let us know and someone will walk through the process again.
 
In the formula on the subreport you will need to place them in the appropriate report section. In this case it sounds like the page header.
 
If you are not trying move the information to the subreport then all you will need to do is move the items you want printed on every page to the page header section.
 
Hope this gets you moving in the right direction.
 
Regards,
 
John W.
IP IP Logged
Lauraleigh99
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Lauraleigh99 Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 12:35pm
Sorry I should have made my question clearer.  What I have are column titles on my primary report and on my subreport.  I have the column titles appear on all pages on my primary report. 
 
So on my subreport I want the column titles to appear on all pages also, but subreports do not have Page headers in the design view so I put the column titles in the Report header in the design view of my report.  Now I would like to have all of those column titles from my subreport repeat on the top of all the pages for the subreport but I can't find where to turn this option on.  Is this where I would have to use a formula??
IP IP Logged
gogodre
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Aug 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote gogodre Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 1:44pm

I have the same issue.  I have three separate reports, each with a page header, detail records, and page footer.  The reports are basically forms that have to be in a specific format.  When I run the 3 reports separately, the page headers and footers populate as expected, on each page.  But when I insert the 3 reports as subrports, the page headers and footers do not populate on each page.  This appears to only happen when the number of detail records spill into the page footer section.  When this happens, the page footer is placed on the next page.

I've tried a number of workarounds to defeat the issue.  I have created a formula to insert a page break after a specific number of records.  For example, my report only allows 6 detail records before a new page should be generated.  The formula inserts a page break after each 6th records.  This does not work when the report is a subreport.
 
Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 7:23am
Here is something that might work. Design your subreport as a separate report. I generally do this in an effort to check the proposed subreport design. It avoids some of the performance issues when trying to run it as part of the whole report.
 
Back to a possible solution...
When you design the subreport this way the section expert is available to you. You also have a design mode that shows page headers etc. Once you have the report laid out then go then main report and insert a subreport, the dialog will give you the choice of creating a new subreport or importing an existing subreport. Import the new report you created to serve as the subreport.  See if that does not give you what you want.  Finally, if for some reason the page header does not show in the subreport I know groups will show. So you may find a way to use the group header section.
 
Hope this is useful.
 
Regards,
 
John W.
 
PS I just tried a quick and dirty test ... the page header section in the subreport becomes a report header section. I suggest looking to the group header which does import cleanly.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum