| Author |
Message |
jakbo
Newbie
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
|

Topic: Doesn't CRXI Have an SQL Editor!? Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 11:17am |
I'm using the BO Universe to generate a report and I need an SQL editor within Crystal Reports in order to query the tables in the universe. Is there no way at all to do this?
I need to be able to do selects and subselects and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it outside of my normal SQL Server environment. Any help would be very appreciated.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
jakbo
Newbie
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
|

Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 11:34am |
For clarity, I mean SQL Editor (something in which I can do the EXACT same things "queries" that I can do in SQL Server), I already know a little about the SQL Expression Editor (not really the same thing as my SQL Server SQL editor).
If Crystal Reports doesn't have this capability, then I'd say the product, in general, is just about useless.
|
IP Logged |
|
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
|

Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 12:17pm |
I dont know if this what you looking for, but in CR you can open the database expert and add command objects. You can write pretty much any SQL queries and sub queries your database will support in those objects. The command objects return the data for use in the report.
You can even use the command object to update the database, there are some tricks to making this work outlined in Brian's book. None the less it is possible.
If you are looking for something more than the functionality of the command objects, sql expressions, using stored procs and so on, then CR may not have it.
Regards,
John W. www.CustomReportWriters.net
|
IP Logged |
|
jakbo
Newbie
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
|

Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 10:14am |
|
Thank you for your reply. The problem I was having was that I was developing the queries in SQL Server 2005 and then pasting those queries into Crystal's command "database expert". That was working perfectly fine when I had Crystal pointing to SQL Server (no problems at all, as I like to do most of the logic and select filtering with SQL as opposed to Crystal's very limited filtering tools).
Now, however, rather than having Crystal point to SQL Server, the company I work for is simply placing the tables I'm using (from SQL Server without modifying them at all, so it's just like I have to completely rewrite my queries) in the business objects universe. They want me to rewrite the queries against the BO universe and I was thinking that I was going to have to somehow rewrite all of my queries from within Crystal Reports and, since Crystal doesn't have an SQL editor, I was having a hard time with it.
I figured it out though, that I can have objects based on my SQL Server queries placed into the BO Universe and I can redo the reports to point to those and I won't have to rewrite the SQL, so I'm pretty happy now and I retract my previous statement that Crystal Reports is pretty much useless (I still think that Crystal Reports should have an SQL editor that works against the BO Universe).
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 12:27pm |
|
Glad you got your problem figured out. The interesting thing about CR and BO is that CR was bought out by Business Objects a few years ago and they had to do a lot of work to streamline the integration between the two products. So having a SQL Editor that works against the BO Universe could possibly be on their to-do list, but one never knows. NOW, Business Objects has been acquired by SAP and now they have resources focused on integratating CR and BOE into SAP. So their list of challenges never seems to get shorter....
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
jakbo
Newbie
Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
|

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 10:25am |
|
Thank you, sometimes it takes me a day, or so, to get my mind wrapped around something. I'm very new to Crystal Reports and the learning experience has been very frustrating, at times. At the same time, however, the learning experience has been very rewarding. I'm looking forward to continuing on with Crystal Reports and particularly with designing BO Universes.
It's very interesting to follow the evolution of a program throughout its various acquisitions and versions. I don't know much about SAP, but I hope they realize the value (from a business intelligence standpoint) in the BO Universe and Crystal's reporting tools. In my opinion, if they can develop a SQL editor that works against the BO Universe, they'll be able to pretty much own the business intelligence market.
The solution to my original problem in this post actually requires me to place an object in the BO Universe that is based on several tables being joined together and sometimes joined to themselves several times with selects and subselects and subselects within nested case statements and on and on. That's fine, but we're probably only going to be able to use that particular object for just one report, which is kind of a waste, I think. Shouldn't the BO Universe be filled with fact and dimension tables (star schemas)? Then we should be able to query these star schemas from within Crystal Reports with a SQL editor that Crystal provides? If Crystal Reports had that kind of functionality, it would truly be the leader in the realm of BI tools, I think.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|