Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Summary field problem Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
mwpgr
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote mwpgr Replybullet Topic: Summary field problem
     Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 1:39pm
The Comments table is linked to the Job table. The Job table stores all pertinent info except the comments. The link is 1 Job record to many Comment records.
I have Comments in the Details section, Key in my lowest group(a counter starting at 0 for each date), then Date group, then Job in my highest level group.
I simply (or not so simply) want to collect a running total of hours worked on each Job record.

When I try to evaluate for each record, I get multiples due to the several Comment reocrds(I understand why).
When I try to evaluate on change of the Date Group it only gives 1 record for each date(I understand why).
When I try to evaluate on change of the Key Group it works until I only have 1 record for the date. Then it sees "0" twice (1 each for 2 different dates) and doesn't see it as a change. THis one I don't understand because it is within the date group - shouldn't that count as a group change?
Thank you for your time.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 5:20pm

I'm trying to visualize everything, but not being successful, so let me just throw this out there (it's been a long day).

 
I would create a manual running total. Only update the count when the appropriate group field changes (date?). That way the multiple comments won't fudge things up. If you still find things not calculating right, move the formula into the group headers to see how that affects your total. You should be able to get it working with a little experimention of placement.
 
I have lots of tutorials for learning about running totals and summaries in chapter 3 of my Encyclopedia book. You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.


Edited by BrianBischof - 31 Jul 2008 at 5:22pm
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum