Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Multi-language - Read Labels From Text Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
KevinBond
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Quote KevinBond Replybullet Topic: Multi-language - Read Labels From Text
     Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 1:18pm
I have about 150 Crystal reports that I am going to need to eventually distribute in various languages.  I used the World Sales Report sample from the Crystal Reports Encyclopedia to make one of my reports change baseed on the regional settings.  That is pretty cool.  What I would like to do, and hve not been able to determine exactly how to go about it, is to have a csv file where I store a label name, the english text, and the foreign text in three columns.  From within my Crystal report, I would like to be able to look up the label name, and then if there is a foreign label, use that as the label, and if not use the English label.  Any ideas?  I had thought about using some sort of fucntion to open a file system object to scroll through my csv lookig for the text, but that did not work.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 9:45pm
Great avatar. That's a cool site you got it from.

Re you question, I think the best option is to create a subreport that 'processes' the records in your csv file. Thus, you would have the fields in the Details section but hide it. Then create Shared variables that store the language equivalant of the text you want to display and assign the variables in the subreport. If you put the subreport in the top most section of the report header, then you could create formulas on the main report that display the shared variables.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
KevinBond
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 10
Quote KevinBond Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 6:32am
Very creative idea.  THank you very much.  BTW, the Crystal Reports Encyclopedia Volume 1, was an excellent read.  One of the few computer books that I have read that was not too dry. 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum