Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Displaying a lot of data fields Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
sjr40
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote sjr40 Replybullet Topic: Displaying a lot of data fields
     Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 3:29am
I'm using Crystal X1 and have to display 14 data fields on my report.
There is only room for about 8 horizontally.
How can I format the page to get all 14 fields ?
Can I use subreports or a 'second section' as a continuation for the other fields ?


Edited by sjr40 - 09 Jun 2008 at 3:39am
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:51am
You can change the page size, and of course use landscape instead of protrait settings. That is done under the File -> Page Setup menu choices.
 
You will be limited to page sizes the printer you choose to design the report against.  For example if it will only print 8 x 14 then will not be able to design a report for a 11 x 17 page. There are solutions to this page size problem if needed. You can also reduce font sizes.  I have found that my customers really do not like fonts small than 8pt.  They are to hard for them read if they are smaller.
 
Subreports really dont work like a continuation report.
 
In the end, I think you will need to think through your basic report design. Change page size, font size. You can also change your design so a long line of data will wrap vertically.
 
There are probably other things, but this is some  basic stuff.
 
Hope it will help.
 
Regards,
 
John W.
IP IP Logged
FanieF
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Location: South Africa
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote FanieF Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 6:07am
I am having a similar problem, except that the number of columns I need to display is waaaay to many for any paper size I can select. [A3 on Landscape with very narrow columns still don't work]
I noticed your reply and the part that grabbed me was 'there are solutions to this page size problem if needed'
Could you please enlighten me of how to solve my problem.
I write reports essentially for export to MS Excel, and providing you stay within the 256 column limit, Excel will handle it, EXCEPT, I don't know how to get Crystal to understand the reports are exclusively for exporting, and not limited for printing on one page wide paper.
 
I would really appreciate any advice on this?
 
Thank You
 
FanieF
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 432
Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 3:27pm

CR is limited to the paper size the printer can use.  So if your printer will only use A3 as the largest paper then that will be the design limit. What I have done is to download a printer driver for a large format printer, such as a HP Designjet. I have installed the printer driver even though I do not have the printer. Now using it as the printer I design a report against I literally have an infinite number of page sizes to design against.  The driver allows for custom sizes.  The driver I use allows me to go to from A2 to A6 page sizes.

I can easily create large reports for customers having large format printers even though I do not have one. There may be better solutions, but this one is free and is one that works for me. Of course if all you need is display the data and not print it the solution still works.
 
Hope this helps.
 
Regards,
 
John W.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum