Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Newbie question Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Mike Howles
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Mike Howles Replybullet Topic: Newbie question
     Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 7:26am
We are implementing a new Business Management System which runs on SQL Server.
It does include a basic report writer but we will be needing something that will provide us with more flexibility.
 
I am looking at Crystal reports XI.
 
I know that I can produce reports from my local machine and present, print them wih no problem.
 
I need to allow others in the company to be able to create their own reports from a basic template.
 
I have, up until now done this with Access Db and ASP but we need to grow up now!!
 
So as far as the user is concerned I want them to be able to access a basic report form but be able to give it some basic criteria in order to present them with specific information rather than having to be able to write a specific report for that action.
 
for example they may want to produce a report that is customer performance based on a date range and particular product. So I want them to be able to bring up the report, enter the customer code (or get it from a drop down list, search etc) enter a date range and then select again from a drop-down list, a product, hit the 'GO' button and be presented with the resulting report.
 
Now, I don't want anyone to tell me how specifically this is done, I just want to know whether it can be done before I go spending time and money on Crystal reports.
 
Thanks
 
Mike
IP IP Logged
solent
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote solent Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 12:55am
Hi Mike,
 
With Crystal Reports everything you have mentioned can be done.  Regarding the Customer Code and Date Range, these can be accomplished using parameters with which to filter the records within the report.  Have a look through some of the tutorials and references and specifically look at paramters and record selection criteria. 
 
If you need to me shed some further light on things then I'll quite happily do that.
 
Cheers
IP IP Logged
Mike Howles
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Mike Howles Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 3:52am

Solent

Thanks for the reply.

I had an idea that these things would be easily achieved.

I have been running through the tutorials and can procude a static report without too much difficulty.

For our users they will be wanting to interogate our system for information about our customers. A lot of the reports will be using the same parameters and data sources but they would like to be able to 'click a button' in order to bring up the same report as yesterday but seeing the latest data.

For example, our trade customer manager would like to be able to bring up a standard report, enter a customer code and perhaps a date range and see the latest performance for that customer.

I am not using Crystal reports Server, just Crystal Reports XI and the users will be given Crystal reports Viewer.

Can you point me at any particular tutorial that will give me the pointers to acheiving this?

In the end I want to be able to develop a set of report templates that the users can have on their desktops so that they can enter parameters in order to produce a live report.

I know it can be done else what would be the use of having dynamic data without being able to access it using the most popular reporting tool.

I know I can do it with ASP but I really don't want to be sat here all day writing code!!

Thanks

Mike

 

IP IP Logged
solent
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote solent Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 6:18am
Mike,
 
Good news on creating your static report.  The first thing is to base your report on dynamic data, which I guess in your case comes from an Access Table. 
 
So initially you want to set your Datasource by creating a new Report and then selecting the Database menu and then Database Expert.  From here you can point your report to a Table, Query, Stored Procedure etc to retrieve the data.
 
Regarding the Customer Code, select View / Field Explorer and you will see Parameter Fields.  Right click and choose new and give the parameter a name.  Very self explanotory.
 
The next stage would be to set the filter.  This is achieved by selecting the Report / Selection Formulas / Record option and choose your selection criteria.
 
The above is a very basic set of instructions of how to create a dynamic report based on criteria.
 
HTH
 
IP IP Logged
Mike Howles
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Mike Howles Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 7:04am
Excellent
 
I'll be messing with this for a few days now and appreciate your help.
 
Thanks
 
Mike
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum