Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: problem with column names? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
kowalsky
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 May 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote kowalsky Replybullet Topic: problem with column names?
     Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:07pm
hi all,
i am trying to build the simplest report using CR XI and an Oracle database, probably version 8i. When just dumping all fields of a table from any table in the database the report just traverses all rows in the table and all subsequent filters seem to work.
 
I have one table though that is not working: I select a column from the table, I click Preview and I get the error message Failed to get data from the database - when clicking OK I get another error message saying the same plus Detail: something about the ODBC connection and and ORA000904 invalid column name.
 
Anybody has any idea what's happening?
If you need more details I am ready to provide them - I just wander if it is something trivial.
Thanks,
kowalsky
IP IP Logged
Lugh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:34am
Just as an obvious question, what is the table name and column name in question?  Do either have any special characters in them?  Are either possibly reserved words (e.g., "Date" or "Name")?

Do you have an Oracle DBA who might be able to take a look at it and see if there are any special circumstances regarding that table?


IP IP Logged
kowalsky
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 May 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote kowalsky Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 9:30am
Thanks for helping - I figured out the problem.
It turns out that the table I was trying the report on, was actually generated in duplicate by a script that was supposed to populate it. Apparently SAS is quoting eveything and when I was running the SAS script that was supposed to populate my table MYTABLE, actually it was looking for mytable (lower case) did not find it and created one with the same columns - hence: some of the columns were of different type than the original ones in MYTABLE which were created with a CREATE statement and the ones (columns) that "were working" reported double the number of rows because CR 11 did traverse both tables mytable and MYTABLE and brought back all rows encountered.
Next time I will use sqlldr to populate my table,
Thanks a bunch,
kowalsky
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum