Removing brackets
Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Technical Questions
Posted By: chrispfeiffer — 14 Nov 2019 at 9:52pm
Hello - I need to remove parts of text from a string (I'm using Crystal Reports X) where the part that needs removing is contained within brackets AND I also need to remove the brackets. As an example:
The white rabbit (white rabbit)
So in the example above I need to remove (white rabbit)
I have tried
replace({Field.String},"(*)","")
but that has no effect at all i.e. nothing changes.
Any ideas please?
Posted By: DBlank — 15 Nov 2019 at 2:36am
first you have to verify that the only time () is used in the string is where you want to remove the content. If the part you want to remove is always at the end of the string you can
use instr() to find the placement of the "(" and then left() on that field with the result something like this
if instr({Field.string},"(")>0 then
rtrim(left({Field.string},instr({Field.string},"(")-1)) else {Field.string}
Posted By: chrispfeiffer — 15 Nov 2019 at 5:56am
Thank you - that works a treat!
|