Unable to sum a field in subreport details section

Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Technical Questions

I'm trying to sum a field in the details section of a subreport. Sometimes there will be no values, sometimes one, sometimes multiple. I have only header, details, and footer in the subreport. I'm comfortable with the formula to pull from subreport to main report but the few things I've tried in the subreport (sum, running total) result in duplicate instances of the details value showing in the footer (value A in Details, Value A in footer, repeat) versus a sum of all values in details showing in the footer. The subreport is in the details section of the main report. The subreport field I'm trying to sum is already a number format. Thank you.
since the subreport is in the details section, is it being called more than once? where are you reporting the subtotal from the subreport, is it in the same detail section?

Does it need to be displayed in the detail section?

I am asking, as it sounds like the report is doing what it was told to, and to alter it's behavior, we need to know more.