new string field in CSV table problem

Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Technical Questions

Hi,

Crystal reports 9 :
A new field has been added to a CSV table.

When testing on this field :

is not equal to "X"
is not like "*X*"
 
or suppress if field = "X"

returns a blank report.

This field is blank in all records, so it should show the complete table.

What does work is isnull(field).

What is wrong with this field, it shows type string

I think if you alter any of your other formula options to 'use default values for nulls' they would work as you expect.
If the report is not set up on how to handle a null it will not evaluate the formula and skip or omit that row if it is part of the select criteria.
Also with string fields, checking for Len(field) = 0 instead of Nulls works pretty good.
That didn't help, but I figured it out, it's a memo field.
I created a formula left(field,1) that changed it to a string that can be used in selections