Subreport into Report Header

Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Technical Questions

Hi, I have CR2011. My customer would like to see the running totals for Group 1 (There are 3 groups) in the report header, versus scrolling through 18 pages to get totals for the 9 results they need. My thoughts were to create a separate report with just this information(subreport), and bring in the entire subreport to the report header of my main report.

Is this possible? I've created subreports that bring in data to a group in my main report, but never in a report header. Is this possible? Guidance, steps are greatly appreciated!
It quite possible, in fact I have done a number of times to do something similar to what you are suggesting.  Now if the sub-report is longer that your page, I have seen some odd things happen.  Normally I just pass values from the sub-report to the main report when it is in the report header.
That's good news. The data from the sub report will fit easily in the header, it would only be 9 lines long.

How would I get this started? Do I create a shared variable for each metric in the subreport (there are 6). Then I'd assume my join would be on group 1 of the main report to group 1 of sub report? Thank you, sub reports are not my strong suit.
The big question is passing the correct parameter(s) to a sub-report or reports that would be in a report header.  Since they are outside of the groups.  Also yes you would be creating a shared variable for each metric in the sub-report (in a formula).  Likewise you would need the same shared variables defined (in a formula) in the main report (in a section after where the sub-report is placed).  Hopefully this will get you started.
what I usually do in this situation is save a second copy of the current report. Suppress or eliminate everything that is unnecessary from the second (sub) report. Then insert it as a sub in the first report. Set your subreport links to reference the same parameters as the first report and voila! The numbers should appear in the page header.