Can you help me up a steep learning curve...

Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Talk with the Author

Hello All,
I am on a steep learning curve as I am trnasferring from being a VBA developer using Excel and Access to using SQL Server and CR in VS 2005!
 
Whilst looking for a book to help me I found this site....
 
I have read that the VS2005 version of your book is not going to be available until later this year Cry.  I have read many good reviews.
 
I do have a book but it leaves me with two probems.  The first is that all of the examples are in C# and I need VB (Note to authors PLEASE put on the cover of the book the primary langage of the examples).  The second is that the book exposes the "push model" stating the CR methods for the pull model" are "beyond the scope of this book".
 
Can someone direct me to a good discussion of why I should use either the "push" or "pull" models?
 
I am developing a windows app that is a prototype and will be a standalone app.  It may be upsized to an enterprise solution using either web or windows interfaces.
 
We have "graduated" to SQL Server and CR because of the volume of data and the types of reports we want to generate.  My job is to work out "which numbers we want to add up and how we want to add them up and display the answers".
 
Sorry for the long post- hope taht you are still with me...
 
Thanks,
 
Alan.
Hi Alan,

Yes, it will be a little while before my CR.NET 2005 book is out. However, the CR.NET 2003 book will still be very helpful for you. I've had many 2005 programmers email to tell me that it has helped them a lot. It doesn't have the new 2005 features listed, but I would say that 90%+ of what it covers still applies to the new version. Plus, I cover everything a programmer needs: Windows forms, ASP.NET, VB.NET ancd C# code, Push and Pull models, the works. Plus, tons of tips and "gotchas" that you need to be aware of. As one reviewer on Amazon.com said, for a little more than $20 you'd be crazy not to pick it up.

You can read two free chapters online:

http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/crystal_reports_net_book_index.asp
Just ordered via Amazon.co.uk!
 
Smile
 
Cha ching$
 
A.
Cool. I think you'll be glad you did. 

Of course, feel free to post feedback and comments in the forums. I'll start working on the Crystal Reports .NET 2005 edition in April.