Filter to show only Blank fileds.

Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Talk with the Author

I am new to crystal reports and am in need of help.

I have a field:{CmtMain.CmtIssueDate}

I want to show ONLY the entries that are blank for this date/time field (in my company it means the work is NOT completed).

this is the formula that I have
{CmtMain.CmtIssueDate} = DateTime (1999, 12, 22, 00, 00, 00)

how do I type the formula to show only the fields that are blank?

Hi smccomish
 
There's nothing really wrong with your formula, but it all depends on how your database handles the "empty" field. 
 
If the field doesn't exist - so if there is no entry in the field, then it doesn't exist, try:    isnull({CmtMain.CmtIssueDate})
 
If the field is empty (eg it exists, but there is no data in it), try:
totext({CmtMain.CmtIssueDate})=""
It's a different version of what you have, but it might work.
 
Check to see if your database's default date is actually 22nd December 1999 (as this is an unusual date to have as default).  If it is, try this in case your field is only a date field (and not a date/time field):
{CmtMain.CmtIssueDate}=Date(1999,12,22)
 
An all catch would be:
 
isnull({CmtMain.CmtIssueDate}) or
totext({CmtMain.CmtIssueDate})="" or
{CmtMain.CmtIssueDate}=Date(1999,12,22)
 
Thank you very much! Worked perfectly. I have had NO training on CR. Just trying to teach myself. Thanks again!!
Hi smccomish
 
No worries.
I have had training on CR & although it helped to work out where the bits were, I found that applying it to your own data & agency needs was the steep learning curve.
 
You'll find you'll be at this forum a lot.
Best of luck.