Crystal Report License

Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Talk with the Author

Hi,
 
In the past i have designed reports in crystal reports XI for .Net (2008) applications and never looked into crystal report tool which comes with VS2008.

-What is the difference b/w Crystal Report XI Software and Crystal Report tool in Visual Studio 2008/2010?

We are designing web based application in .Net 2010 and thinking about using crystal report for designing, viewing and printing reports. Application will be published on server (64-bit) and over 250 users will be accessing this application.

-Do we need to buy 250 licenses or just one license for CR-XI or later version (Not Visual Studio version) ?


-What are the pros and cons of using crystal report which comes with Visual Studio aparat from buying license?


Edited by momer79 - 07 Jul 2012 at 6:59am
Crystal XI is no longer sold.  You would have to get either Crystal 2008 or Crystal 2011.  You need one license for each person who will be designing reports.  I think you can distribute report like you're currently doing without having to pay extra, but you would need to verify that.
 
The runtime/designer that comes with Visual Studio 2008 or can be downloaded for VS 2010 is Crystal 10, so there are some new features that it's missing.  Also, I find the designer component in VS to be clunky and sometimes difficult to use - I much prefer creating my reports in Crystal itself when I can.
 
-Dell