Crystal Reports and SQL CE
Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Talk with the Author
Posted By: mdbriggs — 1 Aug 2011 at 9:54am
Over the pass several years I've had an on again off again kind of experience with CR. Each time this forum has been my refuge for answers and help. Once again, I'm reaching out to this forum to ask a question because once again I've been tasked with developing CR.
Has anyone ever created any reports using Crystal against SQL CE?
Are there any examples from which to see of doing so?
Posted By: jkwrpc — 3 Aug 2011 at 8:54am
While I have not tried writing a report against SQLCE my understanding there is an OLEDB or ODBC connector for it. If that is true the report should be able to be completed as if it were a standard SQLServer database. I do believe there are a few limitations with triggers and so forth, but standard SQL queries should work just fine. Also I understand one version of SQL CE (there is 3.5 and 4.0) works on the desktop and the other on the web. So you need to make sure you have the correct version for the reporting platform.
Apart from that I am sorry I cannot be of more help.
Regards,
John W.
Posted By: mdbriggs — 5 Aug 2011 at 3:35am
Thanks for the response. However, I'm getting feeback from some of my colleagues that an OLEDB or ODBC connector for SQL CE is not available. Do you know for sure that either of those possibilities does in fact exist?
Posted By: jkwrpc — 5 Aug 2011 at 5:23am
Well I just used VS2010 to connect to the a SQL CE 3.5 database this is the connection string it generated.
connectionString="Data Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Samples\Northwind.sdf"
providerName="Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.3.5" />
Here is one example referencing the OLEDB provider from that site:
Type: OLE DB Provider Usage: Provider=Microsoft.SQLSERVER.CE.OLEDB.3.5
Provider=Microsoft.SQLSERVER.CE.OLEDB.3.5;Data Source=myPath\myData.sdf;
All of this suggests to me there are providers....
Hope this is of help
Regards
John W.
Edited by jkwrpc - 05 Aug 2011 at 6:25am
Posted By: mdbriggs — 5 Aug 2011 at 9:50am
It does. Thanks alot
|