need isnull formula

Printed From: Crystal Reports Book — Forum Name: Technical Questions

hi, i am new to crystal and i am basically training and learning as i go.  i am working on a report that displays patient number and date of last diagnoses.
 
I have multiple diagnoses fields however not all are answered. When not answered crystal outputs "unknown"
 
I would like to supress this field if there is no data entered in the system. Or instead of displaying "unknown" i want it to say "No Diagnoses"
 
I know the start of the formula is "if isnull"
 
I tried formatting the field in the supress area for the formula i entered the following
 
if isnull ({history_diagnosis.axis_I_diag_value_1}) then 'No Diagnosis'
however it get the message "formula result must be boolean"
you are placing the formula text in the select expert. that is only used to limit the data based on a boolean evaluation of each data row.
create a new formula field in the Field Explorer and try your formula there.
Thank you this worked =]