Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Topic: Code a button click event to run exe Posted: 21 Apr 2007 at 10:45pm
I'm so thrilled to have stumbled onto this site!! I'm having a really hard time trying to make something work for me related to Crystal Reports and would greatly appreciate any help.
Is it possible to code a button's click event to run an exe? I have CR 8.5 and have tons of reports that my agency uses daily. I'm the only staff member with CR on my workstation as I've been trained in Crystal Reports as well as with the company whose software we use to utilize CR with the data structure. I desperately want to write an application in Visual Basic 2005 ( I only have Express version at this time ) and use a button control to activate the exe that is created when I 'compile' the rpt. Is that possible?
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. If I sound vague, I can surely provide more information regarding my needs.
Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 10:49am
Something you need to be aware of, Crystal 8.5 is the LAST version where reports could be compiled. So, if your version of Crystal is ever upgraded, any work you do here would have to be thrown out and rewritten.
I would recommend building a VB.Net application using the CrystalReportViewer component that will actually display the report without having to run an exe.
If you have to keep the .exe format, there are ways to do that too.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum