Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Text object borders missing Post Reply Post New Topic
KMeyer

Online Status: Offline
Quote KMeyer Replybullet Topic: Text object borders missing
    Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 7:10pm
I have just completed my first form style report in CR in Visual Studio 2005 ASP.NET and I am wondering if I have missed something in all my recent research and reading on report design with Crystal Reports.

I have used text objects with borders and database fields imbedded in them to create a form, the form previews nicely in the designer but at run time in the web Reportviewer only text and the data display, no borders so the whole report/form looks very unformated.

But when I print to pdf from the reportviewer the form generates correctly with its borders.
I am thinking the web based reportviewer may not support this type of formatting when previewing a report in a browser. Any feed back appreciated. Confused

Regards
Kim           
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 8:13pm
Not printing text borders in certain circumstances was a bug in VS 2003.NET. I didn' t think it would be there in 2005 as well. I haven't checked yet, but if so then you are out of luck. Check their website to make sure you download the latest service pack and/or hotfix to make sure you have the latest builds. Since this is most likely their problem, you could make a call to tech support and they shouldn't charge you.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
KMeyer

Quote KMeyer Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 8:59pm
Thanks Brian,
I thought it might have been a limitation with the web environment/viewer. Everything prints okay from the print button in the viewer, just looks terrible when viewed in the viewer.
IP IP Logged
KMeyer

Quote KMeyer Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 10:24pm
Brian,
Problem solved, after searching their site as suggested,  I removed the following default entry from a web page containing a reportviewer in a test application and my test form report now displays the borders on the text objects.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

This important info can be found hidden at the bottom of page 10 in the following link.

This may be useful for others working with CR in Visual Studio 2005 & ASP.NET where they are formatting objects with borders. Smile

Regards
Kim
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 1:11am
That's great news Kim! Glad to see that they had some info on it. Thanks for following up here and giving us the link. I'm printing out that doc now to read it over more thoroughly. 
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
KMeyer

Quote KMeyer Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 5:47pm
Brian,
Just thought I would mention for anyone following this post that if they are using a Master page in their ASP.NET 2.0 application, then they will need to remove the entry from their Master page if using the Master page in conjunction with the CR reportviewer as it is inherited from there on any subsequent pages using a Master page.

Regards
Kim
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 8:57pm
Ah yes, good point. Thanks.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version