Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal to Excel Post Reply Post New Topic
jmorgando

Online Status: Offline
Quote jmorgando Replybullet Topic: Crystal to Excel
    Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 4:50am
I'm trying to send a Crystal Report to an Excel Spreed Sheet and I'm having problems getting it to format correctly.. Any Thoughts ????? I'm using  Crystal XI..... NEED HELP ASAP

Thanks,
jmorgando
IP IP Logged
chris

Quote chris Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:27pm
Hi,

It might help if you give a bit more detail as to what formatting issues you are having.

Regards

Chris
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:22am
Tips for exporting to Excel cleanly:

1.  For each "column" of data, make sure that the column header, data, and summary (if any) are the EXACT same size.  To do this select all of them, right click on the one that's the size you want, select Size and Same Width.)

2.  For each column of data, make sure that all of the objects start in the same position.  To do this select all of them, right click on the one that's in the correct position, select Align and Lefts.

3.  Avoid column headers that are on multiple lines unless ALL of the column letters wrap to the same number of lines.

4.  If possible, use the Data Only export to Excel - it's not a "pretty" but it also doesn't merge cells so it's easier to work with the data.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
flanman

Quote flanman Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 7:43am
What hilfy said... When I have had Excel exports not work well it is normally due to spacing and formatting of the report.
IP IP Logged
oks911

Quote oks911 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:49pm
I have the same issue especially the crosstab color doesn't match between Crystal and PDF. i am totally out of my mind
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:59pm
Is the color different?  Give us some details of what you expect vs. what you get.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
oks911

Quote oks911 Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 7:36pm
Thanks for your quick response!

I am expecting the result as following url. It is CR format.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/oks911/RTS/CR.jpg

When I try to export the report to PDF format, I got the result as following url.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/oks911/RTS/PDF.jpg
As you can, the PDF format only display one colour on my crosstab

When I try to export the report to Mircosoft excel (97-2003) format, I got the result as following url.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/oks911/RTS/Excel.jpg
As you can, the excel format get the correct colours, unfortunately the allignment is ran out. Also there is missing line after "Verified by: ".

I don't know why exporting to PDF and Excel format are not accurate. Can you help me?

Edited by oks911 - 09 Aug 2010 at 8:20pm
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 4:12am

While it's better than it used to be, Exports from Crystal have always had their "quirks" and we don't have much control over them.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that if you used several different colors instead of multiple shades of the same color you might get better results in the PDF export.

How have you set up the lines in the report?  Is it a drawn line or a border on a blank text object?  Neither of those will show up in the Excel export.  Instead, I suggess that you put a text object on the page and fill it with underscores ('_') which I believe will come through in the export.  As for the rest of the formatting, I posted a note on Facebook a while back that talks about formatting for export.  You can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/sapcrystalreports#!/note.php?note_id=431695651872

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 10 Aug 2010 at 6:23am
IP IP Logged
oks911

Quote oks911 Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 5:00pm
I set up the line by drawn a line. Your approach is working! I use underscore and the line is shown at excel now. Brilliant :)

Ohya, I manage to solved the color issue. Under Format cross-tab option, I removed the background color of my cross-tab. And now it works perfectly.

Thanks for the Link , I've bookmarked it :P
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version