Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Problem when using Certain Crystal Reports Post Reply Post New Topic
ckoeber

Online Status: Offline
Quote ckoeber Replybullet Topic: Problem when using Certain Crystal Reports
    Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 9:34am

Hello,

A client is having trouble using Crystal Reports with some created reports. On the created reports that exhibit issues the original creator of the report used a preconfigured ODBC connection to a Microsoft SQL Server (2005 edition). The original creator then save the report for others to use and then distributed the report.

After a few months the ODBC connections for some of the computers (including the client’s) system was changed (deleted and then recreated) but the name of the ODBC connection remained the same. The client then tries to access the originally mentioned reports and refresh the data. The client encounters the following errors:

·         Crystal Reports: Failed to retrieve data from the database.

·         Crystal Reports: Database Connector Error: ‘If tables are already linked then the join type cannot change.’

·         Crystal Reports: HY000:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Connection is busy with results for another command.

The question is this: Do I need to recreate the reports or is there any changes to the reports I can make?

Regards,

Christopher Koeber

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 6:49am
several things to try. start with the easiest
1) verify the database, that will try to connect to the ODBC driver and might fix the issue.
2) set the database location, just use the same one, click update and try verifying.

One of these should do the trick.  I don't use ODBC anymore but every now and then I have to look at a report written to look at the wrong DSN or the Wrong database on the DSN.

HTH
IP IP Logged
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tdavenport Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:38am
Lockewell,

I have a question in response to your answer of :
"  I don't use ODBC anymore but every now and then I have to look at a report written to look at the wrong DSN or the Wrong database on the DSN."

I only use ODBC and am not familiar with other methods. Would you enlighten me on these other ways of connecting to a SQL database? I'd be interested in other methods if they were faster.

Many of my reports use SQL expressions but that is within the "command" section once I've chosen my datasource - which is an ODBC connection.

Thank you!

Travis
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 12:09pm
I don't know the programming specifics, but you can change the connection to OLE and I believe that you can set the connection at run time. 

What my company uses now though is to retrieve the data from the database, usually by way of a stored proc, and then we set the datasource of the report, so the report never connects to the database at all.  Basically, CR is running off of an XML file.  I don't know if it is faster, but you can a) use stored proc (way more flexible than straight joins to the database) b) modify the data further in a middle tier of the app (again, more flexibility) c) never have to worry that the report is pointing at a wrong or non-existant ODBC connection.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version